Sunday, June 10, 2007

Green Thumb Mark II



My dad came over and helped me with the garden. It seems that my previous failed attempt made him wish he could impart that knowledge on to his progeny. Well, I sure am glad he did! Going over the myriad of reasons why I was only able to produce vibrant weeds, we decided on an encapsulated solution. Cut wine barrels and a wood planter would serve to eliminate the threat of gophers, weeds and bad soil.



The above picture is a little blurry but I am too lazy to upload a new one. Suffice to say the vision is fantastic in person. Advantages of this setup:

- It is mobile. We drilled some holes and added some rope handles so it can be transported anywhere!
- It is attractive. Barrels are rad!
- It is not contaminated by weed filled soil and hungry gophers. This prevents me from going into Bill Murray Caddy Shack mode.

Freakin' awesome! Also, it was really well timed as I had been recently inspired by Justin's vast three-tiered garden he planted in the middle of the Los Angeles desert.



So, you may or may want to know what we planted. Here you go:

- Roma tomatoes
- San Francisco Fog tomatoes
- Habanero peppers
- Red chili peppers
- Fairy tale eggplant
- Sweet orange bell peppers
- Yellow bell peppers
- Chives
- Cilantro
- Italian parsley
- Sweet basil
- Sweet marjoram (my favorite herb!)



I would like to thank my dad for this, his generous contributions to the project made it all possible. He showed me how to plant them, how to water them and I really learned a lot. I have high hopes and I really do hope I can turn my brown thumb green this time around.

In other news, not so far removed, my Dad tried the Wii. We played golf, we played tennis and we bowled. It is really amazing to see someone new to games pick this up and just fall right into it like it is natural. Totally unaware of the amount of technology, software and hardware it takes to make something like this work and just feeling like, "This is a game I can play!" It is the first time I have ever see my dad enjoy playing a video game since him and I played Rad Racer on my 8-bit together. Some people wonder why I am a Nintendo Fan Boi and I can definitively tell you it is for this very reason. I rarely enjoy games that I play for myself as much as I enjoy playing games with others. It was a privilege to be able to do that with my dad.

-Aaron

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a really nice entry. Sounds like you had a fine time with your Dad. That's cool.

6/11/2007 08:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home