Friday, September 05, 2003

Ignore the world around me



So, I read a post on Wil Wheaton's site and he posted about some advice his mom gave him about not watching the news to relieve stress. Interesting, and it made me realize something.

As some of you know, I completely ignore almost all forms of news media, sports media and religion. As some of you also know, I'm a pretty easy going guy, not many concerns in my life and not generally stressed out about much. I wonder. I have always thought the media that brings us the news is generally biased, over dramatic and targeting things for shock value. The news *should* have the sole purpose of distributing information to the public, the most important information taking precedence, but I do not think this happens much. So, I skip it. Sports I tend to skip because absolutely nothing they do, points they score, games they win, none of it effects me in any way. Why should I waste my time on that? That's generally my outlook on religion as well. Besides what my beliefs are now or will be in the future, I will always believe that practicing a religion is a waste of time. The little snippet of advice I read just now though turned me on to the possibility that maybe all this time I have been saving myself a huge amount of unneeded anxiety, stress and depression at the same time. Lucky me. I look around and see people agonizing over little things, their job doesn't have pens in the supply cabinet, their car has a chip in the paint now and they don't know how it got there, the holidays are coming and they'd better start shopping really soon or the crowds will make it physically impossible. These sort of worries people have always seemed foreign to me. What's the fuss? I just don't see why these things should have enough weight to encumber their thoughts. I never have. I have been accused before of not caring about the world around me, but now I have a reason that I can respond with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home