Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Giving Thanks

I am taking this time tonight, slightly coasting on a layer of contented wine, to say thanks.

I am thankful that our new president offers a chance for change. I don't know that he will make all of my dreams true. I do not know that he will fix America and make it again the pride of our world. I do not know if he will be able to deliver on all of his promises, exceed my expectations and vindicate me in the face of all of the opposition who says, "I hope you like taxes," All I know is that he offers a chance. The other option was a certainty. Certain that the wars would continue, our economy would continue to fall and most of all that we would continue to be a disgrace in the eyes of the world. For the first time in 6 years, I see American flags flying outside our homes, and I am proud to see them.

I am thankful that I live in a country where I can see the good and the bad, and the options before me. I have chosen a risky path, filled with uncertainty and doubt. I feel the eyes of my friends and the whispers of my colleges. I hear envy, worry, exasperation and pride. A strange signal. But it is a rare world where I can pick up and change my life entirely. I hope that through this unorthodox change of pace, my friends will see me at the end.

This has been a year ... really a month to rival all years. Everything has changed and I am better for it. I find myself at times exhaling. I sound content but what I am doing is staving off my disbelief. I am so happy right now that it is hard for me to accept that this is all truly happening. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Slow and steady wins the race.

I am thankful to be alive. Thank you Mother. Thank you Father. I hope that I do not disappoint. Thank you for every minute of my life.

-Aaron

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

right on

-Mike

11/27/2008 08:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice post. You're a good guy, Aaron. I give thanks that you are my friend.

Sails up, full speed ahead!

11/27/2008 11:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also give thanks that the blackberry pie I made for Thanksgiving turned out SO WELL. It turned out so well, and it was so easy to make, that I am making another one for tomorrow. See you there.

11/27/2008 09:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home