Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The EVE of gaming.



I am a gamer. There I have said it. Now whenever any girl comes looking at my website they will know to stay away from me because I don't like long walks on the beach, I don't like analyzing my feelings, I do not like intellectual conversations (read: listening to them talk about their cat). I do not like hiking, yoga or the sun. I like games! If somewhere out there exists a girl who likes doing things other than pondering the effects that a handbag will have on their evening, hey, give me a ring! Otherwise, off with you, dance away your evenings with drinks bought with a wink and a smile.

But this isn't really about girls, this is about me. I love games. I love role-playing, cos-play, interacting with geeks and nerds, LAN parties and discussions about the statistical ramifications on damage per second when going with a 31/20/0 arms build. I want to grind my enemies to paste, stamp that rook into place for checkmate, flip over that last victory point and defeat three people at the same time with a carefully planned hurricane (I almost got you Jeff, and your little kids too!). So people tell me I am turtled up in my house playing games, they are right. I just have so many things at home that entertain me. I have the choice of going out and spending $80 minimum on a night of food, drink and friends to come home empty handed or I spend nothing to stay at home and play games and end up physically empty handed. Both environments I am interacting with my friends so it is hardly a comparison to say I am not social.

Well now that we have that out of the way, I realized that I was dangerously close to only have two games that I was addicted to. Therefore I downloaded the free trial of EVE Online. What an interesting game. The best way I can describe it is a 3D version of Tradewars 2000. The learning curve for the game is STEEP. But after that you are rewarded with a game that is more open-ended than any other game I have played. Be a pirate, trader, merchant, corporation, law enforcer, bounty hunter, miner, manufacturer, designer, teacher. As far as I can tell you could make children's toys and sell them on the black market. Another thing about this game is when traveling there is a lot of time spent doing nothing. That's kind of cool because now I get to read and play at the same time, or program, or search YouTube for that video of the girl getting hit with a phone book, or read Chuck Norris jokes!

So that is my latest poison.

-Aaron

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Effendi! Its Suma here and i just wanted to say I have been playing EVE for about 6 months now and love it. Look me up on Mallka if you get a chance and we can catch up bro.

7/26/2006 05:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gamer girls who won't break your heart are hard to find. Much easier to find someone with strong and non-inclusive interests of her own. I.E. a shopaholic, workaholic, reader, Care Bear collector, etc. Then at least you got time to spend on your interests without having to justify every minute.

8/12/2006 10:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home